Recommended Intramuscular Injection Sites:
Glute, Medial Deltoid, Quadriceps, Triceps, Biceps, Chest.
- Wipe the area where you plan to give the injection with an alcohol wipe. Let the area dry. Do not touch this area until you give the injection.
- Wipe top of vial with an alcohol wipe. Use the needle to draw medicine into the syringe. Usually, you turn the vial upside down and pull the plunger to suck the fluid. Pull out needle and to ensure the syringe is free of bubbles tap it. Push out any air bubbles.
- Hold the prepared syringe with your writing hand. Place the syringe between your thumb and first finger. Let the barrel of the syringe rest on your second finger.
- Hold the syringe barrel tightly and use your wrist to inject the needle into the muscle you chose and cleaned. Once the needle is all the way in, push the plunger down to inject the fluid.
- Remove the needle at the same angle you put it in. Apply pressure for a few minutes. Safely dispose of the needle.