Recommended Intramuscular Injection Sites:
Glute, Medial Deltoid, Quadriceps, Triceps, Biceps, Chest.
- Wipe the area where you plan to give the injection with an alcohol wipe. Let the area dry. Do not touch this area until you give the injection.
- Wipe top of vacutainer with an alcohol wipe. Use a 18g or 20g drawing needle to draw fluid into the syringe. Usually, you turn the vacutainer upside down and pull the plunger to suck the fluid. Pull out needle and push fluid into syringe you will be using for injection. To ensure the syringe is free of bubbles tap it. Push out any air bubbles.
- Pull off cap and hold the prepared syringe with your writing hand. Place the syringe between your thumb and first finger. Let the barrel of the syringe rest on your second finger.
- Hold the syringe barrel tightly and use your wrist to inject the needle into the muscle area you cleaned. Once the needle is all the way in, push the plunger down to inject the fluid.
- Remove the needle at the same angle you put it in. Apply pressure for a few minutes. Safely dispose of the needles.